Friday, April 17, 2009

My life in a bag.

Guatemalans love stuff in bags. I don’t understand why. This likely wouldn’t be a problem if they had even a fraction of the same amount of enthusiasm for recycling, but little plastic bags riddle the streets like a second national flower. You can buy anything you want in a bag here. Buying a dozen eggs? Have a bag for each one. Need a drink of water? Grab a bag of water. Does your kid want to bring juice to school? Pour it in a bag, tie it closed and send junior off. Its absolutely incredibly what you can find in a bag here, people will cut off the rind of watermelon, stick it in a bag and sell it on the side of the road as if the natural casing wasn’t good enough. This must somehow be related to the obsession for food on a stick found commonly at state fairs in the US. Next thing you know people here will start selling deep fried twinkies, in a bag.

4 comments:

Wynn said...

Becca!! i totally forgot you had a blog and randomly got on blogger today (considering starting one with my own musings on China) and realized I was apparently following you this whole time!! I've been such a bad friend and we need to catch up so soon! When I get some time (aka when I'm bored at work) I'll be sure to read through all these so that I can catch up on your life.

Shellie said...

Wait, a dozen eggs come INDIVIDUALLY bagged? Really? ¡Qué extraño!

kaybo said...

hey becs!!! just like wynn, i just found this blog, shame on me! my blog is a pathetic attempt at a blog, while yours is a real one :) with sweet pics

que triste that some countries literally can't afford to help the planet. if you wanna mail me a huge package of dirty bags from the side of the road, i'll totally recycle them for you

PETRUS said...

Hi!! I live in Cobán. And it's absolutly true that the guatemalans are crazy about plastic bags. When I go to the drugstore to buy a single pill they try to give me a plastic bag... so I explain to them that you only use once the bag. Cuase you throw it away later. I love your comparison with the food on a stick! lol. Take Care. Thank you for giving your time for the development of my country.